Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What's So Funny?

When you visit another country, it's always a discovery to see what the cultural differences are. I'm intrigued and at times bewildered with how people's sense of humor can differ.
When I played at the acoustic lounge the other night, there were things I said that I know people in Oregon would laugh at, but in this case, sometimes the only sound I heard was crickets.

I only speak a little German. I've had a couple awkward moments of standing with a smile frozen on my face as the rest of the room resounds with German speaking voices.

"Do you speak any German at all?" One woman asked me.

"Just a little." I replied.

"Say something." she said.

"Bitte schreiben Sie es auf." (pronounced bitt-er shriy-ben zee ess owf for 'please write it down')

"HA HAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ha ha ha hahahahahahahahahahah ha ha ha!" she roared.

I was pretty sure I had said it right. Maybe I had said it wrong. It could've been funny, but was it really THAT funny?

I sat there with my perma grin. I looked at her.

She looked at me again and busted up again, "HA HA AHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!"

I'm a comedian without trying. Pure genius, huh?

That's the way I'll look at it at least.
I think I now fully understand the term: Ignorance is bliss.

Though, I suppose, in the end, I'd rather make someone laugh than cry...even if it is at my own expense.