Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Coincidental Misfortune Syndrome


A friend in Seattle saw this, took a picture of it and sent it to me.
Why?
I seem to have acquired the motto "Never a dull moment".
I think I can pretty much attribute that to my Coincidental Misfortune Syndrome... a label that was bestowed on me after my friend, Josh, saw the movie "Pure Luck", which is about a woman who's diagnosed with Coincidental Misfortune Syndrome (CMS) because the craziest things happen to her in the simplest of situations.
To prove him wrong, I watched the movie with Josh and told him, "You're crazy! I do not have CMS. None of that stuff happens to me." In which I then proceeded to get up and knock over my plate of food everywhere.
We were in stitches. I haven't been the same since.
Crazy things happen to me in what you would think are the simplest of situations.
Things like getting my hair caught as I rolled up the window....or getting locked in a dingy stairwell at some restaurant during New Year's when I was looking for the bathroom.
Last night was no exception.
I met up with my friend, Nicole, at her mom's apartment in Vancouver. We all wanted to see eachother before Nicole went to Hawaii and I went to Europe. So we hung out for a couple hours and it was fun as usual. Before I knew it, it was 11pm. Nicole and I left at the same time. I was ahead of her in my car and came to a fork in the parking lot. Instead of taking the way I came, which was speed bump ridden, I opted for going the other way which was speed bump free. Unfortunately, but naturally, it led me immediately to a dead end. I burst out laughing and had to back up my car. I noticed Nicole had stopped her car and I pulled up alongside.
"Guess you thought you'd leave me with one last CMS moment, huh, Wellard?" she said laughing.
"Well, since I won't be seeing you for a while...." I said.
Graciously, she let me go ahead of her and soon I was about to turn out of the apartment complex and on to St. John's avenue.
All of a sudden HONK!
It was Nicole...honking a warning to remind me that St. John's was a one way street and I was about to turn the wrong way.
What are the chances? Pretty high, in my case. I can't even leave an apartment complex normally!
Nonetheless, I laughed all the way home and I'm sure Nicole did too.
Never a dull moment.