Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Heart Zurich


I love Zurich. It is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen at night. When I think of Zurich, it will always conjure up warm memories for me.







As I was taking pictures, there was live music playing from downriver. It was that song, "There she goes just a walking down the street, singing 'Do wa dee dee dee dee dum dee dee do'". I burst out laughing. What are the chances you'd be hearing a song like that in Zurich? It was such an odd musical backdrop to have as you're trying to capture and soak in the grandeur of the city.












It was very peaceful and serene.














We were in Zurich to hear Bryan's cousin sing with an accapella ensemble. The concert was held in this church.













It was beautiful inside the church. I loved the high ceiling and the stone walls. It had a very midevil feel to it. When the ensemble sang, it was so ethereal.





I took a short video of one of the songs. It's a rough recording, but it will give you somewhat of an idea of what it was like.



Afterwards, we were invited for dinner at an Italian restaurant. I ordered my food in German! Wahoo. Everyone was so warm and friendly. Even though I knew very little German and their English wasn't that good, we still had great conversations. I was talking with this older woman who was telling me that she moved out of her house of 34 years and now lives in the mountains. She talked about how change can be difficult and how hard it was on her, but that she was glad for it and that change was good. She talked about how I was young and that there would be big decisions in life to make that bring changes, but it's good because change can bring growth and life.
"Life happens where you're at. " She said. "Live."

It was profound for me. I was moved and felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude...just thankful to be alive, to be living, to be experiencing things and have these unanticipated moments happen like bursts of sunshine through the clouds, bringing simple joys.

Dinner wound down quickly and time passed on. We said our goodbyes just outside the restaurant door...a normal thing to do, but I just kept thinking "I'm in Zurich!"
Since it was late and there was still an hour's drive to go....and since there was a Starbucks just one block away....Bryan and I went and got some Caramel Machiatto's. Best Caramel Machiatto I've ever had! (and I've had a lot of 'em).

Bob Marley's 'Redemption Songs' was playing quietly in the back ground:

"Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs."


I guess it struck me because the evening felt redemptive somehow. I just can't articulate why.

Before we left the city I took another short video to capture everything:




"Life happens where you're at. Live."