Friday, October 26, 2007

Little Does She Know



I decided to do a little self documentary with my camera before my little excursion. I cannot believe how unsuspecting I am!


Walking into town is one thing...but driving is a completely different other thing! Try to imagine driving a stick shift by yourself in a winding road city, with extremely narrow streets, without really knowing where you're going....and welcome to my day.
I needed to go get some groceries, go to the post office and stop at a technology store. All I have to say is that I am REALLY happy I went exploring a couple days ago, otherwise I would've been dead in the water.

Even though I had a map, I still took a wrong turn and got lost. I ended up on the other side of town near an elementary school. When I couldn't go any further, I had to turn around...which blocked oncoming traffic. In my hurried state, I nearly ran over some school children which resulted in angry parents shooting daggers with their eyes, boring holes in my head. I got out of there as quick as I can. Finally, I made it to the city center. Unfortunately, when I reached where I was supposed to park, there were no available spaces....which sent me hunting for ones through the narrow streets. I parked and then realized I had to pay and naturally, I didn't have any change on me. Noticing a small corner store, I went in to buy a chocolate bar and got some change. I then paid for parking, but unknowingly paid for the wrong spot.

Grocery shopping took me a while since I was shopping for a big brunch meeting. Everything here comes in smaller portions and it's much more expensive! Bacon was nearly $8! I had no idea how to differentiate between the different types of cheese, so I eenie, meenie, monnie, mo'd it and just took a couple. When you check out at the cashier, you're responsible for bagging your own items in these really small plastic bags. I had a ton of stuff. If you want bigger bags, you have to pay for them! And I had no idea about that. As I was bagging, the cilantro I purchased fell out of it's packaging and went all over the floor. So I'm gathering that and all the while, have six other people behind me who are trying to purchase items. They were getting a bit annoyed but were also amused with how much I was trying to stuff in these little tiny plastic bags. When I finally left there, I was carrying 10 bags of stuff and my circulation was completely cut off by the time I got to the car. Since I had to go a couple more errands to run, I put more change in the parking meter...for the wrong spot AGAIN! (sigh)

After making a quick stop to the technology store, I had to go to the post office to mail off my postcards. That took a while and the lady there wasn't very friendly or helpful. Hopefully my postcards will make it to the U.S. ok. I do have to say that I have a new respect and compassion for people who live in the U.S. and their first language is not English. It isn't easy at all being in a country that doesn't speak your own native tongue as their first language. It's been a pretty humbling experience and I've had to learn to rely on the kindness of people. Most people have been pretty helpful, but there have been others who've been rude and given me attitude about it. So next time, when the tables are turned, I'll be sure to remember kindness first.

When I made it back to the car, I checked the time on the meter and then realized I had been paying for the wrong spot. Luckily, I never got a ticket.

Getting into the car, I then figured my way out of the city center and was on my way home. There are some pretty crazy drivers around here and naturally, my road rage kicked in and I raised my voice with a few choice words for some individuals. They were asking for it! Honestly!

Finally, I made it home....all in one piece and my wavering sanity was completely restored.

I did it. Wahoo.