Thursday, October 18, 2007

Day 1 - Who cares about Jet Lag?

Hello! I've made it to Paris safe and sound. Thank you everyone for your kind emails and for commenting on here too!


The last couple hours leading up to my departure were crazy. But what else is new? I ended up pulling an all nighter and finished packing and cleaning. My lil' sis gave me a ride to PDX airport at 5:30am on Wednesday. She officially declared me an unseasoned travel....which was true. I was pretty flustered. Naturally, my Coincidental Misfortune Syndrome (CMS) kicked in which resulted in me leaving my carry-on bag in the backseat of my sister's car...which had me frantically calling her from a pay phone to have her come back to the airport to give it to me. It all worked out just fine in the end...it usually does, yet I never seem to remember this when I'm having a CMS moment.
My travel time went a lot faster than I thought it would. The one thing I wasn't prepared for was getting fat feet. I guess when you're on a plane for a lengthy period of time...such as 8 hours, your body can swell due to the altitude and dehydration....hence the fat feet...or swollen feet. Had no idea. So for a while, it felt like my shoes were too small.
I didn't really get a lot of sleep on the plane. By the time I reached Paris at 7:15 am, I had been up for nearly 48 hours straight. Surprisingly enough, jet lag hasn't been that bad. I guess that I could credit that to my own excitement for being here....that or it's just too soon to tell.

I love Paris! I love the history that's here and how old everything feels. On every corner is some cute cafe compelling you to go and check it out. So far, the French have been really nice. The thing that's taken me aback the most is how crazy the motorcyclists are here! They zip in and out, around and about traffic all at a breakneck speed. It's freaked me out a couple of times. There is a transportation strike happening here...but walking never hurts. Traffic here is insane and I'll take Portland's rush hour any day!

There's more I want to say, but I have to get going. Here are a couple pics to tie you over with:

There's something so sacred and reverent about the churches here.


This is what hot looks like up close.
Like something out of a movie.
It was a gorgeous day!
I ran into some hot European man who insisted on kissing me.