Monday, November 19, 2007

The Point of Re-Entry

Hello! I'm back safe and sound. Once again, my return to Oregon didn't resemble anything normal or boring.

I just about missed my flight transfer in Frankfurt, Germany. As it turns out, I left my permanent resident card at home. This card is proof that I'm legal to live and work in the U.S. Yes...can I get a "Way to go Wellard" from anyone out there?

They had to get some official from the U.S. consulate to come to my gate and clear me for travel. He took his time getting there and didn't arrive until 5 minutes before they were going to take off.

After giving him my passport information, he says to me, "You're cleared for travel, but just so you know, after you've arrived and go through customs, they're going to fine you."

"How much?" I asked.

"$545." He said it like you'd say $5. As though it wasn't a large amount at all.

I broke into a cold sweat all of a sudden and said "Crap." (well...that's the g-rated version at least.)

I had a 10 hour flight back to Portland to contemplate my wretched fate along with how pea-brained I was to forget the card in the first place. I had no idea what I was going to do. I didn't have that kind of money.
So I said a prayer for grace and mercy with customs officials and then tried to not think about it. Have you ever made a point to not think about something before? Usually, it ends up being all you do think about.
The 10 hour flight went by really fast...or maybe it was just because I was dreading what awaited me. We landed in Portland and I walked the slowest walk ever. Soon, I was in line at customs and my turn came before you knew it.

The man I spoke with was a gruff older looking man. I explained my situation to him. He grimaced, stamped my passport and said. "Okay."

I was surprised and thought he was going to let me go. This wasn't so bad, I thought.

"Come with me." he said.

I followed him into a side room and watched him put all my papers into a folder.

"You're in for a long wait." That was all he said and then left.

So I waited....and watched other people pass through and look at me curiously. Soon the room started filling up with other possible illegals.
After a long time, someone finally called my name.

"We'll let you back into the country, but it's a $545 fine."

Tears started to well and I got choked up. The first thing I said was, "Do you have a payment plan?" (which makes me laugh now) "I don't have that kind of money and I'm unemployed."

Anyways, I must've looked really pathetic because then the guy went to try and see if he could get his supervisor to waive the fee.....which took even more time. I waited, bit my fingernails and then waited some more. I eventually just went and sat down.

Finally, the guy came out. "We only waive the fee for extreme circumstances. Leaving your card at home is not an extreme circumstance. We were able to get ahold of the customs court official who was willing to make an exception for you, just this once. But if something like this ever happens again, you will have to pay the fine. No exceptions AT ALL."

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I let it all out. After thanking him profusely, I went to go search for my luggage.

Let's just say, I have another thing to add to my list of things to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.