Monday, November 12, 2007

Art

"The modern artist is working with space and time and expressing his feelings rather than illustrating.
It doesn't matter how the paint is put on, as long as something is said. " - Jackson Pollock


I visited Aspire....the gallery that Bryan is curator of. Every month, Aspire provides art workshops for the community to be involved in. A guest artist comes in to showcase their art as well as teach the workshop. Everyone who participates in the workshop has the opportunity to put their art on display when the time arrives to showcase community art.


The guest artist this month was Manuela Saurer. I totally fell in love with some of her pieces:









This one was my favorite of hers. I just loved the feeling of it and the mood it evoked.




















Here are some other pieces from some people within the community:
















































I got goosebumps when I saw this piece. This was done by a Spanish artist. The flag was painted onto a piece of wood. What you see all over the floor is ash and fallen stars. This piece is entitled "You Are Afraid". I have to say that I've encountered some animosity towards the U.S. by a lot of Europeans. Some of it has been directed to me, but when it is discovered that I am Canadian, there's been an immediate shift in attitude and acceptance. Stereotyping is annoying, but it can be really disheartening at times. It's been humbling and made me more aware of my own stereotypes that I project on to others sometimes.
I've always found it interesting the kind of things art can provoke in yourself and in other people.