Thursday, November 8, 2007

Afloat on Lake Luzern

Continuing my Saturday in Luzern...we had free tickets to take a boat ride along Lake Luzern. The boat we rode was called the "Flüelen". It was the perfect size, nice and cozy.










A cold grey day and lots of wind. It felt like the northwest.









The unknown frontier.










A ship and its mateys. Arrrr.





View from the lake.








There were several different ports that we stopped at. It made me want to go exploring.



I took a short video to try and capture the rolling green hills and the view:





We negotiated our way into the first class area for free. Wahoo! The seating was much more comfortable there. A couple mugs of tea later, I was in a very happy place. The boat ride was so pleasant and relaxing.




First class lighting...the lighting in first class.








After our boat docked, we were awarded with a fantastic night view of Luzern. It was gorgeous.






Stomach grumblings led to restaurant explorings which then led to one candlelit dinner...right along the lake.





As we were walking back to the car, I saw this guy traipsing awkwardly in a cow costume. How random is that? I busted up laughing and started rummaging through my purse to try and find my camera. This guy was surrounded by a bunch of other guys who were just about doubled over with laughter. You couldn't help but stare and then laugh and then stare and then laugh all over again. He ended up coming up to us. As it turns out, it was his bachelor party. All of his buddies made him wear this cow costume and forced him to walk up and down the streets of Luzern with a basketful of cheese.
After I found my camera, I took this picture and his buddies roared.

"How long do you have to wear the costume for?" I asked.

"Until I sell all of this cheese!" he answered.

I peered into the basket and then gave the chap a very sympathetic look. He had a long night ahead of him!




Luzern = a day that couldn't get any better.