Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Welcome to Poland


I loved the countryside in Poland. It was extremely beautiful and the perfect day for a drive. There were 5 of us traveling altogether. While I was driving on this particular leg of the journey, someone took out their acoustic guitar and just started playing quietly. No one talked. The music was the perfect accompaniment to the scenery. It was very serene and will stay with me for a long time.




Eventually, we pulled over and decided to have a picnic. It was just right for one.









It's been a while since I've had a picnic. With a view like this, who wouldn't want to have a picnic?










After a tiring 14 hour drive, we made it to Torun, Poland and stayed with some artist friends. I was fortunate enough to be able to walk into some of the old town parts of Torun. It felt like something out of movie....like you were transported back in time.














This is front gate to to old town Torun.














I love the way this city was lit. You're captivated and instantly become trigger happy with the camera.

















As I was walking, I noticed a crowd had gathered around this fountain. As it turns out, every night people come to see the fountain display along with the accompanying light show as they listen to music recordings by local Polish composers being played in the background. The fountain and lights are coordinated to play along with the different dynamics of the music.
I took a short video of it:



It was great. Sometimes people would just go hang out in the fountain while others would run around in it trying to see how long they could go with out getting sprayed by water. Of course when you're watching all of this, it can be quite compelling. Does it come as any surprise to you that I decided to join in the fun? I don't know if I'll ever be back in Poland again, but I do know that if I didn't run in the fountain, I would always wish that I had. So...I ran into it...laughed...ran some more...and I didn't get sprayed with water. That's because I'm quick like a ninja!




We stayed on the second floor in the building furthest to the left. I soon discovered that where we were used to be a jewish neighborhood before the jews were driven out in WWII.
You can feel the history here.








Next stop: Lithuania