Sunday, July 20, 2008

Life at Uzupis

Everyday, I would walk down from our hostel to the Uzupis Area and everyday I would be greeted by the same old man who would tell me stories about the KGB and Russian mafia. Back in the day, Vilnius was where the main KGB headquarters used to be when Lithuania was occupied by the Russians. Some of that history still lingers and there are hints of the Russian mafia around here. It really can boggle your mind sometimes.
There's another old man I saw around here and there that I dubbed as the Lithuanian Godfather. He had the same husky sounding voice as Marlon Brando except just with a Lithuanian accent. It cracked me up!
Throughout the entire week, I met people from all over the world. There were artists from Russia, Finland and Georgia (not the u.s. state)...I met tourists passing through from the UK, Italy, Japan and many more. There was such a diversity and it was great!


Local musicians would come and visit us every now and then. We had some really fun jam sessions.


















Here's Bryan drawing a crowd with his art. The lady in the pink shirt is a very well known Lithuanian architect that he was working with to make a particular art piece.