Monday, July 21, 2008

Vilnius - Part 1

Thought I'd show you around some other parts of Vilnius.


Here is the hostel we stayed in. It was great! The beds were comfortable, the showers were fine and there was complimentary breakfast every morning.






I would walk by this angel statue everyday when I was heading down to the gallery.















The weather here reminded me so much of Portland. A lot of the time it was so sporadic and couldn't make up its mind...rain, sun, rain, wind, sun, rain and so forth.
When the sun was out, though, it was fantastic!








I took this picture because Lithuanians are pretty serious about their alcohol.
I'll never forget walking down main street and hearing someone say to someone else, "Stop your bitching and just start drinking!"







The cemetaries here are pretty raw and unkept. It's strange how something so full of death can look so serene and pretty.








These two buildings were a dormitary for needy Jews until 1941. They were evacuated by the German Natzis to the ghetto and were slaughtered in Ponar. About 400 Jews were murdered in this very place and were buried here in holes in the ground. 80 children were taken to one of the basements and were thrown into fires. Being here was a very sobering experience for me. And the thing that blew my mind was that this was not just an isolated incident in Lithuania. Things like this happened again and again all across Europe.






Capturing an artist in the moment. I love this picture.















A Baltic Festival was happening at the same time that we were there. There was a lot of eating, drinking, dancing and merriment.
Shortly after I took this clip people started dancing. I joined in the fun of course. :)







Taking a walk through the city streets at night.