Monday, July 21, 2008

Holy Matrimony, Batman!

Getting married in Vilnius, is a very popular thing to do...especially on the weekends in the summertime. I don't think I've ever seen as many brides as often as I did while I was there. At first I started keeping a tally...then it got so ridiculous, I started taking pictures. I saw some of the ugliest wedding dresses I have ever seen...and bridesmaid dresses as well. Or maybe the most diplomatic way to put it is that I saw wedding dresses there that just weren't my style. heh. Not all of them were that bad.
All in all, I probably saw about 30-35 brides. I took pictures of about 10 of them just to prove the craziness. So, in no particular order, I give you some of the brides of Vilnius:






































































































































One of the most common wedding traditions in Vilnius is for the bride and groom to purchase a lock and have it engraved with their names and wedding date. After the ceremony, they take the lock and attach it to the railing of a bridge as a seal of their love and commitment.







The bridge railing here are covered with locks.