Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Basel


Last week, I enjoyed a liesurely stroll through the city of Basel. I live in Liestal which isn't too far away. I'd venture to say that Liestal is to Basel what Gresham is to Portland. It was fun to walk around and take in some of the sights. I took more pictures:




This was taken from the highest point in Basel.











Yours truly.








This is the oldest cafe in Basel and was originally started by some jewish people before they were driven out during WWII times.
The cafe has some excellent chocolate cake and tea.








Wherever you go in Europe, no matter the size of the town, you can be sure that the church building will always be outstanding.
















I met the guys who's been the caretaker to this church for over 10 years. They've been working on restoring it for a long time. He knows every nook and cranny of this church. He showed me that two people can stand on opposite ends of the big doorframe and whisper things to one another. It's crazy, but you're able to hear what the other is saying. There are also some secret passages too. I love being able to find out about things like this!







I took a couple other shots: