Monday, July 21, 2008

Vilnius - Part 3


There are more than 40 churches in Vilnius. No matter where you are in this city, you're bound to see a church. Some have been restored while others are in the process or are waiting to be restored. Because of Soviet and Russian occupation, some of these churches were used for all sorts of different things like grain stores, galleries, atheist museums or even prisons.
Visiting some of these churches totally enthralled me. They are haunted with history but have maintained such a sacred air about them.
I took so many pictures that it's really hard to narrow it down.


This is St. Anne's Church






























A view up into the tower.












The Vilnius Cathedral is one of Vinius' main attractions.

















I took a couple short videos to give you an idea:










The Jesuit Church of St. Casimir














While I was visiting this particular church, I noticed that they were about to have a concert there in 15 minutes. So I took a seat and waited for it to begin.
It was a women's ensemble. Sometimes, they were so in sync together that it sounded like one voice singing instead of an ensemble. The acoustics in this church were amazing and their voices were ethereal.
As usual, I took a short video: