Monday, August 18, 2008

Motorcycle Tour - Day 3 - Sun, Curves and Wine


I awoke in Brunnig the next morning and discovered how beautiful the town looked during the day.







The sun was out and it was the perfect day for a motorcycle ride. After a simple breakfast, we were on our way.






When you ride a motorcycle, you're automatically inducted into a club. This is the club that all motorcyclists are apart of. When you pass one another, you get to do a cool little wave that only club members can do. I had so much fun with it and tried to wave to every motorcyclist we passed.
Riding through tunnels is a blast:



One of the great things about traveling through the Alps are the nice windy roads. I love this video:








After a beautiful day's ride, we arrived in Montreux mid-afternoon and pitched our tents right at the edge of Lake Geneva.
One thing I was not prepared for were all the topless women laying around...this is a common thing in Europe.
"Hey Andrea, are you going to wear your bikini?" Martin (our other traveling companion) asked.
"No." I said. "I don't have one."
"You could just go topless." He suggested.
"Um, no."
"I promise I won't look."
"Heh. Nice try...but hell no!" I exclaimed.
Martin's got such a sense of humor. What a funny guy.

In the heat of the day, a swim (with a top on) was a great idea, though. It was cool and refreshing. The 3 of us then swam to what we dubbed as "Bird Sh*t Island". Yes, folks...even in grand Lake Geneva, seagulls are still making a mess!




After our pleasant swim, we got ready for dinner.
Bryan has relatives near Montreux who own a vineyard. They were kind enough to invite us over. There is a section where the mountains are covered with vineyards and as you make your way down the road, you pass through these little vineyard towns that are tight-knit with bakeries and quaint little shops. You feel like you're in a labyrinth of sorts as you follow the maze of the extremely narrow roads. I wish we would've had more time to explore.






The view was incredible and these pictures don't do it justice for a second. This particular vineyard produces wine that is imported only within Switzerland. 90% of it produces white wine and 10% produces red. Just a little over 55,000 bottles of wine are made here each year.





Our hosts prepared a fantastic meal outside for us. They grilled some meat too! I was a very happy camper...having meat 2 days in a row! We were spoiled rotten.
I started asking questions about the vineyard and what kind of red wines they made.
"A red wine very similar to Beaujolais." they said.
"I love Beaujolais wine!" I said....and I asked my partner to tell me how to tell them in german that I would like to please try a glass. I spoke in some very broken german. Everyone burst out laughing. At first I thought it was because of how poorly I spoke, but the laughter lingered and prompted me to say, "What did I just tell you?"
After the chuckling subsided, I discovered that I was tricked into saying that I wanted a bottle of the red wine all for myself.
Eventually, I did get to have a glass of that red wine. It was very smooth. The food, drink and laughter continued throughout the evening. Even when it began to rain, we took the party inside and had some dessert along with tea and coffee. Before we knew it, it was time to go.
As we left, we once again meandered our way through the labyrinth of the vineyard towns: