Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Coliseum By Night


So after the pasta, nuns and gelato, we decided to walk to the Coliseum. We ended up walking the long way, but it was well worth it! I was happy to see that there weren't crowds of people there. The Coliseum is spectacular at night! It's no wonder that it's one of the seven modern wonders of the world. Once it is within your sights, you are spellbound and unable to refrain from taking hundreds of pictures. I tried various settings on my camera and really fell in love with the sepia tone. I tried my best to narrow down which pictures to choose:






























































































































Since it was so late at night, the coliseum was closed. I walked around the entire thing taking picture after picture...staring at it in wonder. It's weird to think that this building is much older and has been around much longer than the existence of U.S., Canada and Mexico combined. You can't help but realize that North American history is child's play compared to places like Rome.
We stayed at the coliseum for a couple of hours. It was the perfect late summer night to do this. By the time we got back to the hostel, it was well after 1am.
I could hardly believe everything that had happened and what I had seen in Rome and it hadn't even been a full 24 hours yet!