Monday, March 23, 2009

Fasnacht by Day




Every year in Switzerland, around the end of February and beginning of March, there is a celebration called "Fasnacht". During this time, there are parades during the day and even fire parades at night. People dress up in ornate, detailed, and in some cases, scary costumes. All of this is meant to scare the winter away. :) People from all over the world come to see this happen.
And me? Well, I just happen to live where the party's at. Normally, I'm not too crazy about parades and find myself getting bored pretty easily, but it wasn't the case this time around. There were so many interesting things to look at every turn you took. The swiss people were in such good spirits and it was contagious. I took a ton of pictures and videos. It was hard to narrow them down, but here are a few:




I can't tell you how many marching bands there were. The air was filled with music nonstop.










There was something for everyone. Both young and old participated.




How could winter not be scared away by this sight? ;)~












An interesting combination: Smurfs and trombones.





Flowers, confetti, candy and oranges would be thrown from each passing float. As you can see, I was able to experience some of that. You could barely see the streets. There was so much confetti! The best part, was that you could pick up piles of it off the street and throw it at other people. Guess what I did?






Some watched the parade from the windows of their apartments. There were so many people there!








I took a couple videos to give you an idea of the experience:





This video here gives you an idea of how chaotic things got after the parade had ended.






Needless to say, Liestal was pretty trashed after that.