Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Yowza!

"You need to go to the Southwest Hospital tonight." the doctor said to me.

"Um, I'm unemployed." I said.

"They're reasonable and will work with you on payment plans, but you need to go and have an incision and possible biopsy." the doctor replied.

Welcome to my night last night.
So what am I talking about?

I've had a small build up of white blood cells under my skin on my right arm for years and it's never bothered me...until last week. It started to get really tender and then began to turn red. Soon, I couldn't sleep on my right side at all because it hurt too much. By then, the build up had grown to be a little larger than a quarter and had begun to protrude on my arm. I looked like I had a giant pimple on my arm! The redness had turned into that deep red raspberry color and my whole right arm had swollen.
I headed out to a free clinic in Vancouver thinking they could just give me some antibiotics and it'd be okay....but what was I thinking? That'd be way too easy! heh. Everybody there who saw it was horrified.

So I went to a hospital in Vancouver like they recommended.

"We're going to have to give you a tetnus shot in the other arm and then another shot in this arm that will numb it so we can do a minor surgical procedure and remove what we can and then clean the wound." The doctor told me.

Great. I hate needles.

"This is going to hurt a little." The doctor warned me as she stuck me with a needle and began filling my veins with a syrum.

A LITTLE?

"@)#(&%)#(*%)(@*#)(*@#)(*!!!!" I shouted. (yes, literally.)

"Yeah, it hurts." the doctor empathized....kinda.

I've never felt such a burning sensation like that in my life! My arm was sliced open, drained and they removed what they could and then packed the wound. I was as quiet as a mouse by then.

"You're doing really good. You're being pretty tough." the doctor said.

Did she really mean that? Who knows.

When I looked over, there was blood everywhere. It wasn't the most pleasant sight.
I then had to get a tetnus shot which was a piece of cake after everything else that had just happened.

They prescribed some vicodin (thank God!) and some other antibiotic that I have to take.

I had to drive home and it was very pathetic. I could barely turn my steering wheel.

Talk about bad timing! I'm trying to move. At least it happened this week and not next week when I'm really going to have work hard to get everything out of here.

So I'm out of commission for the next couple days.
Excuse me, please. I need to go take some vicodin now.