Saturday, November 22, 2008

Early Turkey

I decided since I wasn't going to be in the states for Thanksgiving this year, I was going to bring Thanksgiving to Switzerland. A couple of us got together and planned it. Due to everyone's schedule's we ended up having an early Thanksgiving. I've never before prepared or cooked a turkey so this was a first for me. The grocery stores where I live actually don't sell turkey's. Bryan ended up going to Germany for half a day to try and find one! After about 3 or 4 tries, he was finally able to locate one and bring it back.
A couple years ago, I had the best turkey I've ever had with my friend Nicole and her mom. I was able to find the recipe they used. In case you're wondering, you can find the recipe here
After thawing the turkey, I unwrapped it and looked inside to try and find the giblets. I didn't see anything and wasn't too sure if I had to go digging for them or something since this was the first time I had ever done it. I ended up calling my mom just to double check. She got a good laugh out of it. As it turned out, the turkey was completely cleaned out already and there were no giblets.

All I had to do was just wash it out, add all the herbs and stuff it.
It went relatively smoothly and soon the turkey was ready to be put in the oven. To spice things up a bit, we added some apple cinnamon cognac to the sauce we were using to baste the turkey with. It tasted great and the gravy was amazing!







Everything was fantastic and full of flavor! The only thing missing was some cranberry sauce to go with the turkey. I love that stuff, but I haven't seen it anywhere around Switzerland.










To top everything off, we had pumpkin pie and apple pie. Afterwards, I was stuffed and ready for a nap!




This year, I am thankful for the simple joys of life...good food, laughter, great company, a roof over my head and a nice bed to sleep in.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!